Friday, January 29, 2010

be gentle

Why are we so hard on ourselves? I seem to be so understanding & patient & compassionate when it comes to other people! I can always see the bright side of a situation & can encourage others when they need it. But when it comes to me, I realize, I'm so hard on myself. Why? Why do we do that to ourselves. Why do we put ourselves & our needs on the back burner?

A friend of mine once told me a story that a friend had told her... about potty training a puppy! She said you set the newspaper out & without fail the puppy will have an 'accident' off of the newspaper! What do you do? You certainly wouldn't scream or instantly get mad at the puppy, you pick him up & put him back on the newspaper & try again to teach him this lesson- right?! So, shouldn't we have the same patience with ourselves? Yes, yes we should!

So many thoughts running around in my head every day! Most of the time I'm too tired to process any of them! It really helps for me to write things out b/c then I feel much better in the end. It's a funny thing about thoughts vs. the written word. I find that thoughts come & go but once you've written something down- it seems to be there for ever! Like there's no escaping it & you read it later & you can't deny that you had that thought or that feeling. If all things or feelings are neither good or bad then it shouldn't matter. But, I carry this guilt for the parts of me that aren't so wonderful or happy. We all have a light & a dark side & we need to be comfortable with both of them but geesh, I sometimes wish I'd stop writing some of it down!!! Or, just be easier on myself! Remind myself as I would remind a friend- that all things happen for a reason, it's all part of us, & there's no shame in it. It's not the thoughts or feelings as much as it is the action you take or don't take.

So, be patient with yourself- life is but a journey! You're only here to learn & to love or perhaps to learn to truly love. Either way, enjoy the ride!

1 comment: